Saturday 7 July 2012

The Heel In The Gutter

The other day I partook in a radio show for my college, The Blackpool Sixth Form, on Radio Lancashire.

After waiting for a quantifiable time in a crowded canteen, me and my  two friends with me were informed that we were about to be interviewed in 15 minutes. When I say interview, I don't mean to mislead, but it was more like one question, move on, another question, move on - rinse and repeat.

It was during the break that Simply Red - one of the best bands ever - played on the radio. As I enjoyed the velvet tones of Mick Hucknall's voice, my phone rang.

The screen said 'Sixth Form'. 'How curious?' I mused, since I was at college already. I answered and it turned out it was just my teacher to sort out the details for a trip to London this Monday, which the college magazine had won (which I am Editor-In-Chief of BTW. Did I mention that?!?) Over the chorus of chatter in the canteen, I couldn't hear my teacher, so I told him I was in college and would be straight up.

After running there and speaking to him for around seven  minutes, I began to run back to the canteen, very aware of how much time I had left. On the way, a most random event occurred. Passing through the courtyard, I heard a women call my name (first time for everything I suppose). I turn (not in that way) and see 2 ladies stood over a shoe, tugging at it and waving me over. As I approach, another 20 secconds pass. Oh, the drama!

There they were, stood over the shoe - which was a kitten heel - laughing, as the heel in question had wedged itself into the drain... Cackling, they ask for my help. Increasingly panicky about the time, I get down on one knee (again, NO!) and start to yank at it (this is getting ridiculous), but to no avail. I glance up apologetically and am taken aback when I see exactly who the women are. A music teacher from my college - 'this is the first time I've worn heels!' she cried - and my high school drama teacher.

'I wondered when you'd realise it were my Johnny' she smiled. 'Alright Miss. Gardner' I replied, completely forgetting about the radio show. Turns out, she was there to take part in a teaching course. With a new found determination at helping out an old friend, I pulled out the heel. However, as I did, not only did I bring out the heel, but the entire draining system... After a moment of realisation, the 3 of us keeled over in laughter - the danger of me being in trouble for defacing college property non-existent as, technically, I've left - it was then, I remembered about the radio show - with about two minutes left to dash back.

I told the ladies that, although it  was hilarious, I had to dash, but I would have truly loved to see the outcome. I made it just in time to say my piece, but the heel in the gutter is by far more memorable...

I still don't know how this anecdote finished, but when I next walk through the courtyard, I'll be sure to see if that drain is back in place...

No comments:

Post a Comment